Lemongrass Chicken Lettuce Wraps + WP Rant
August 13, 2012 § 18 Comments
Ok what is up with WordPress? Or is it my browser? Or my laptop? I have been trying to post pictures but just cannot. The media uploader doesn’t pop up; and my pop-up blocker isn’t enabled! Darn it, I can’t even access my reader!!
And when I try to access the main WordPress page, I get that awful, archaic, beneath-the-surface webpage where the buttons don’t display, the pictures don’t show and everything is in Times New Roman. I need to get this fixed! (I am so technologically challenged, I can’t even clearly explain the problem I’m facing.)
I have been sad all day wondering why I can’t post properly. Posting without a picture, however basic the picture may be, is still quite bland.
But I guarantee you this dish is not.
In my last What I Ate Wednesday post, I posted about the Asian chicken lettuce wraps I ate for dinner.
I picked up some ground chicken at the market and wanted to make something other than keema curry or chilli. I wanted a cold, spicy chicken salad with Asian flavours. I really enjoy Thai raw papaya, and I love cold Thai beef salad as well. I was toying with minced chicken salad ideas in my head when boom! I remembered seeing pictures of lettuce wraps on The Food Network Website, so I bought a head of lettuce too. I figured if I could season chicken my ground chicken well, and toss it up with soy, it would make a nice Asian-inspired lettuce wrap.
These are quite easy to make, and my humble suggestion would be to let the chicken simmer with the lemongrass for a while…this way, that wonderful flavour seeps in and lasts. I ate this for lunch on Thursday too!
LEMONGRASS CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- 250 grams ground chicken
- Water for boiling
- A handful of lemongrass leaves
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 medium sixed tomato, chopped
- 1 medium sized bell pepper, chopped- any colour you like
- 1/4 cup sliced button mushrooms
- A handful or a quarter cup of roasted cashewnuts of peanuts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes or 1 red or green chilli, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6-8 lettuce leaves, depending on how much chicken you want to roll into one leaf
- First, take a large pot and to it, add the ground chicken, enough water, the lemongrass leaves, rice wine vinegar and 2-3 garlic cloves. Cover and allow to simmer on a gentle heat till the chicken is cooked.
- Next, drain off the water, remove the lemongrass leaves. Keep the chicken and garlic cloves aside.
- In a wok, heat the oil (I used toasted sesame oil) and allow it to get hot. Add in the garlic you saved from boiling the chicken, the thinly sliced ginger, mushrooms, onions and swish around for about 30 seconds before adding the soy sauce and stir-frying.
- Next, add in the chicken and cashewnuts and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, bell peppers, crushed chilli flakes, sugar and salt and stir fry for a minute or so more.
You’re done! Allow the chicken to cool in the fridge before placing on washed and dried lettuce leaves. Roll up and enjoy!
Hopefully I can figure out why my WP is acting weird.